Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Frost is on the Pumpkin, Hay is in the Barn


If you've been out in the garden lately, you're more aware than a calendar gazer of just how far along the year is. The gourds are on the vine and they're getting color! Won't be long (I say as a guy whose favorite season of the year has always been autumn)!




I know you're saying to yourself, "John Bauman making a less-than-serious piece of pottery? John Bauman adding whimsy to his pottery? Forsooth?"

Okay, maybe you wouldn't say "Forsooth". I know I rarely use that word.

But, yes. For about three months out of the year I turn some of my pumpkins into Jack O'Lanterns. I get a kick out of coming up with different faces, expressions, shapes. And I like the way I can make them relate to each other.

Sure, it's a LITTLE weird to be working in the shop late at night and have a whole warecart of pumpkin faces staring at me as I work. But it's not as though I can hear them talking to me. Not often, anyway. Besides, singing isn't technically "talking".

I've had dozens and scores.......maybe even hundreds of people tell me that they get these Jack O'Lanterns out in late summer and turn the face against the wall -- enjoying the plain side until October. Then they turn it around, enjoy being haunted by the face for the month of October.

Finally, they turn it back around and enjoy the back side again until winter comes.

With or without the face, they look great with my gourds or in groups of Jack O'Lanterns too!

Each Jack O'Lantern comes with a clip-in light cord and bulb so that the face can be lighted from within. Each Jack O'Lantern is thrown on my potter's wheel. The stem is a hand-pulled handle.

2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your shop on Etsy through a treasury that included your Harvest Jar. Such beautiful work! I love everything, and the Jack O'Lanterns are fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete