Monday, September 19, 2011

Circleville Pumpkin Festival



This show has been calling to me for more than a decade. The Circleville Pumpkin Festival
October 19-22, 10 AM to 10 PM each day.

After a Summer season of art fairs, this celebration of autumn and harvest should come as a welcome change of pace.
I plan on bringing not just my pottery (LOTS of pumpkins and gourds), but also my wheel in order to demonstrate each day (and into the night).


By coincidence, I was set up next to Jill during that Ann Arbor Art Fair this summer and found out LOTS about the competition of growing giant pumpkins. See, Jill has been growing the giants for a few years and what she described was a wonderful culture of gardening and crazy competition to create these monster pumpkins. I will be furthering my education on the sport, as Circleville hosts one of the country's biggest weigh-ins for the competitive growers.

There will also be TONS of pumpkin pie and other baked goods made from pumpkin. I will be in heaven. I LOVE pumpkin pie! And pumpkin bread. And pumpkin souffle. And....well, you get the idea.

I will be madly making gourds for the next three weeks!

9 comments:

  1. I love your pumpkin collection! just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that I've seen those platters before...they are great! And I'm with you on pumpkin love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those platters are striking- very good indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds like my kind of show- pumpkin ice cream would be good!
    I bet your pumpkin work will find some good homes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the compliments. Those platters require more steps than the Philadephia Art Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of pumpkin ice cream, I got bit real good breaking up a dog fight..over pumpkin ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I was a dog, I'd fight for pumpkin ice cream too. I just asked Breeze. He concurs (though he resents the pun hidden in the use of "conCUR")

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes smooth that little dustcatcher BOTH ways when I'm really feeling amused! Great minds...

    ReplyDelete