Monday, August 1, 2011
In an attempt to make the blog post look more interesting, I added other photos (the gourd patch, last year's pottery gourds, the dogs, etc). But the new crookneck gourds I'm making are pictured in the two sorta sepia-toned photos in the middle.
And the way I make those is to make the crookneck by throwing a hollow donut and then quartering that donut. When I started out with the idea, I didn't know how much of the donut I'd need to make the neck -- I wasn't sure of my targeted final size. As it turns out, one quarter of the donut was just about perfect. Additionally, that gave me 4 gourds out of each thrown donut. Pretty efficient, it turns out.
Two years ago I made crooknecks by simply throwing a long cylinders and attaching them and then worrying them into a bend. Of course, when I did that the cylinders wanted to fold and flatten each time I tried to bend them. That's why I decided to try the donut idea. That way I'd be starting with a bent cylinder.
And when I say that I attached them to one of my pumpkins thrown upside down, I mean that my pumpkins are usually like this...
...with the top (relative to the potter's wheel) being where I attach the vine/handle. But with the new crookneck gourds, as you can see, the top (relative to the potter's wheel while throwing) is now the bottom -- making for a very convincing gourd bottom. That was an important change because I intend the crooknecks to lay on their sides.