I am continuing to make more big jars. The carved stoneware came out so much to my liking, I decided to start making my white clay jars -- the ones I glaze with my Millring Red glaze.
Well, I started out with my new(ish) domestic porcelain. As it came to me, it was WAY to wet to throw anything of any size. So I had left some out to dry a bit. I started out by wedging it but it became obvious with the first couple of pulls that even stiffened up a bit, it wasn't going to go big. I tried 6 jars and watched each collapse before my eyes.
I was getting tired.
I gave up on the domestic porcelain and went to a bag of Turner porcelain I've had around the shop for more than 15 years. It took some wrestling to get it throwable. It didn't work either. The usually foolproof porcelain just flopped all over the place.
I was getting even more tired.
Next I got some of the old Standard 182. Man, was it stiff! But I was determined. I wedged it -- which consisted more of slamming than kneading. It was too stiff to center. So, before I went in for dinner that night I sliced several bags of the clay up into slabs and accordioned them in wet towels to leave overnight.
Yesterday I got the clay out of the wet towels, wedged it up and, voila! It worked. Tall white stoneware jars.
My handles are exceedingly polite and just a little bit shy. They don't want to go where they've not been invited.
So my pots are a veritable Emily Post of etiquette. They make sure there's a place set at the table for the handles