Sunday, December 20, 2009

Handedness


Years ago my mom showed me a neat trick. She put a piece of paper on the table in front of me and then put a pencil in each of my hands. Then she told me to close my eyes and write my name with both hands at the same time. When I finished and opened my eyes to look, the two signatures were remarkably similar, given that I don't write with my left hand. I'd say that the left hand signature was darn near the same as the right hand signature....BUT....

....and here's the cool thing, so I hope you have your seatbelt securely fastened on your imagination...

....the left hand signature was backwards. Yup. A mirror image of the right hand signature. Not upside down -- just backwards.

I don't think I could write upside down. At least not very fast.

I take that back. If I was hanging upside down I could still write. Pretty fast too. I'd have to. With all the blood rushing to my head I wouldn't want to take too long to write. I'd probably write something like, "Can I stop hanging here like this? It's terribly uncomfortable."
I'm not so right handed that I can't do anything with my left hand. Oh, I'm not like my wife, Dar, who writes right-handed, but throws lefty. But I used to be able to shoot a basketball pretty well left-handed.

I seem to be able to wave hello with either hand. Some people say I look more sincere when I wave with my right hand. I've tried to see if there's anything to what they say, but the only way I can check is with a mirror -- and when I do that, I look like I'm waving left-handed. I must say though, I do look sincere.

No comments:

Post a Comment